Being able to find the best hiking shoes for men is one of the key factors to determine the success of your hiking trip along with proper clothing and backpacks.A good pair of hiking shoes will allow you to walk with ease and comfort in all kinds of surfaces on your hiking trails and help to prevent slips and falls as well.
In case you are considering a good pair of hiking shoes to buy for you upcoming trip, here is our review for the best hiking shoes for men in 2017.
01. New The North Face Men’s Hedgehog Fastpack GTX Hiking Shoes
The North Face is undeniably one of the most famous and reputational brands in America specializing in producing outdoor goods such as outerwear, fleeces, coats and hiking equipment such as tents and sleeping bags. And it has its popularity for a lot of good reasons. Their products are very durable with innovative technologies to provides hikers and backpackers with all of their needs along their trails.
The upper of the shoes is made from mesh and PU coated leather. The sole is a VIbram sole made from rubber. The shaft is low from arch. It is equipped with lightweight Gore-Tex material and CRADLE technology, making it among the best waterproof hiking shoes for men. You can choose sizes of the shoe from 7 to 14. The range of colors includes Cosmic Blue/ Zinc Grey, Green/Grey, Coffee Brown/ Rosewood Red and Black/High Rise Grey.
- The shoe is waterproof and very durable, which can stand well though rain or shine.
- You are also able to move fast with ease and comfort on these shoes thanks to the innovative Vibram soles. Not to mention that this shoe can provide you good traction against all kinds of terrain- even if it is muddy or sandy.
- It is very lightweight so you don’t feel tired after walking on it for a long time.
- The size of this shoe is smaller than normal shoes of the same size.
- The sole might be stiffer than regular running and walking shoes.
- It might also take a longer time to break in the shoes.
Verdict:It is rough enough for hiking on tough surface but the foot bed provides enough cushioning for walking. Therefore, this shoe is your ideal choice when you have to both walk and hike a lot. Its excellent ability to be waterproof makes it the best choice to wear on grass or mud.
02. Merrell Men’s Moab Fst Hiking Shoe
There are many hikers who keep buying Merrell shoes once their old shoes wear out. They are such loyal fan of this brand simply for its top notch quality and stylish design which never grows old over time.
This Merrell hiking shoe is made with leather, fabric and synthetic. Its design is the low profile one with lace up front and bellows tongue. The linings are made from breathable mesh. The Vibram sole is made from rubber with padded tongue and collar. You can choose size of this shoe from size 7 to size 15. In addition, you can choose among these colors such as Noire, Black, Navy, Brown and Dark Red.
- This shoe comes with the highest quality to make you feel comfortable while still being able to protect your feet from tough surfaces and harsh condition.
- Not to mention that the outsole is also a Vibram MegaGrip one to provide best traction against wet and dry surfaces.
- The price of the shoe is affordable.
- The size of this shoe is bigger than your normal running and walking shoes.
- The outsole of the shoe is quite stiff.
Verdict:If you are looking for a pair of hiking shoes mens for smaller and bigger foot sizes than normal, you can look into this model of hiking shoes. It is suitable to wear when you have to walk all day, even for a very serious hike. With its dark color, it could be easily paired with many of your outfits.
03. Columbia Men’s Redmond Hiking Shoe
Columbia Sportswear Company is a popular American company which produces and sells outerwear and sportswear. It was founded in 1938 and since then it has aimed to provide the best products with highest quality. One of the strongest features of the company’s products is their durability and sturdiness without compensating the flexibility and comfort. This Columbia’s Men’s Redmond hiking shoe continues to follow this tradition.
The upper of the shoe is made with suede leather, mesh and webbing. The mid sole is lightweight with Omni Grip non marking traction rubber. The overall weight of the shoe is around 3 pounds. You have two options of colors to consider which are Cordovan mixed with Dark Ginger and Pebble mixed with Dark Ginger. The sizes of this shoe range from 7 to 15.
- The sole of this shoe is made with the highest and most modern technology to be very lightweight, comfortable and at the same time very durable and have high energy return.
- The shoe provides a good grip and traction against slippery grounds.
- The mesh material offers great air ventilation for the shoes so your feet can feel cool and dry all the time regardless of how hot it is in the summer.
- This model of men’s hiking shoe is not waterproof.
- The sole is quite stiff with a thin tongue and it takes quite a while for the shoe to break in.
Verdict: This model of hiking shoes men’s is suitable for a hike in a dry and hot day.
04. KEEN Men’s Logan Mid WP Hiking Boot
KEEN is a popular brand in outerwear and footwear and one of its main range of products is the waterproof hiking shoes for men. They are waterproof but still breathable and well air ventilated. Most of their shoes and boots are equipped with KEEN Dry innovative waterproof and breathable membrane.
This new KEEN Logan Mid WP Hiking boot is made with fabric and synthetic material while the sole is made with synthetic material. The design of the boot is the mid cut boot with mesh upper and smart lace plate. The foot bed of the shoe is removable with metatomical dual density. You have 3 options of colors including Magnet/ Racing Red, Black/ Spectra Yellow and Dark Earth/ Tawny Olive. The sizes of this boot range from size 7 to size 14.
- With thick soles and well-defined arch, the boot is very supportive which can help you to stand and walk for a long time without feeling tired.
- The heel is contoured which is also lock to adjust for the support of your ankle.
- The boot is equipped with very innovative technologies such as KEEN’s million step comfort which provides good shock absorption and stability so that you can easily walk on very tough surfaces on your hiking trails.
- There is no option for wide boots.
- Not to mention that this style runs half the size smaller than your normal size.
Verdict:It is suitable for men who easily get hurt by walking a lot. It is also suitable to wear for hiking on easy to medium hard hiking trails.
05. Merrell Men’s Moab Ventilator Hiking Shoe
This Merrell hiking shoe is made from leather and synthetic material. The foot bed of the shoe is compression molded EVA one with Air Cushion mid sole and VIbram Multi-sport rubber outsole. The available sizes are from size 7 to size 15, size D is also available. One of the most significant advantages of this model of men hiking shoes is that it contains 15 different options of colors for you to choose from including Granite, Black, Castle Rock/ Black and Olive.
- It is one of the best waterproof hiking shoes for men with high quality material. This material is also capable of keeping you warm in the winter and cool in the summer with its excellent air ventilation.
- In addition, it has great air ventilation with the antimicrobial feature to prevent odor from developing inside your shoe.
- It is very stable while provides you enough flexibility with its smart and innovative design.
- The sole of the shoe can offer great traction even on wet and dry surfaces.
- You have a wide range of colors and sizes to choose from.
- This model of hiking shoes is not durable and comes with inconsistent quality.
- It might take a while for the leather hiking shoe to break in.
Verdict:If you want to buy pair of hiking shoes for men to wear all year around then you can consider this hiking shoe. With options of size D and a huge range of size, it is also suitable for anyone with very wide and large feet.
06. Merrell Men’s Mojave Hiking Shoe
Here is another shoe from Merrell. As mentioned above, this brand is famous for hiking and walking shoes so there is no surprise that there is another Merrell making it into the list of the best hiking shoes men’s.
This Merrell’s hiking shoe is made with leather and fabric material. It features lace up design with removable EVA foot bed and compression molded EVE midsole. It has a synthetic sole, breathable mesh lining and mesh upper part. The shark of the shoe is made with molded nylon. There are 2 sets of colors for you to choose from including brindle and bracken. Finally, you can choose any size of the shoe from 7 to 11. It is a little bit wider and longer in comparison with other modes of hiking shoes of the same size.
- It has good air ventilation to keep your feet cool and dry without suffering from sweat and moisture.
- It offers great protection against the roll for the ankles, prevent possible injuries that could happen to them when you fall or slip.
- Furthermore, the outsole is very sturdy and stable.
- This model of hiking shoe is not waterproof, making it not a good choice when it is likely to rain when you set to go hiking.
- There are not so many sizes for you to choose from, especially when you have big feet.
Verdict:You can wear this shoe in the cool and dry season. With its light weight and compact design, it is suitable to bring on when you travel aboard. Last but not least, it is wider than normal at the top, suitable for anyone with bigger toes. You can also add orthopedic inlays just in case.
07. Nevados Men’s Mesa Mid Hiking Boot
The final recommended hiking footwear on the list is actually a hiking boot from Nevados. This brand is famous for manufacturing high quality and stylish outdoor clothing and footwear that all follow the pattern of modern and rugged outlook. Not to mention that it only provides gear and equipment with the best ability in waterproofing on the market. And this hiking boot is no exception.
The boot is made with leather and textile. The colors on the shoe are brown, orange and black. The sole is made of synthetic material. The insole of this hiking boot is removable. The shaft is about 5.5 inches from arch. You can choose any size from 8 to 13.
- With genuine leather and carefully stitching design, the boot promises to last for a very long time, even when you use it intensively under harsh conditions.
- It is very solid and sturdy with great support and stability.
- It provides you enough warmth especially when the temperature drops down in the winter and prevents water from getting inside.
- Although it comes with extra insulation, it also provides good air ventilation to keep your legs cool and prevent moisture from trapping inside your legs.
- The size of this boot is smaller than others of hiking shoes of the same size.
- It creates a squeaky noise with every step you take, which might be quite annoying when you walk on it in a quiet place.
Verdict:It is suitable for anyone looking for a pair of boots instead of shoes- especially when you go hiking in the winter and need extra insulation. It is also a good choice if you look for an item to match your rugged style and look. You can also use this type of boot for everyday office wear.
I hope the list above can provide you a general suggestion about some of the best hiking shoes men’s that you should consider provided that you are looking for one. With a huge range of styles, designs and constructions, it only takes quite a while before you come up with a pair of hiking shoes that matches all of your needs and preferences.