A watch can be one of the most expensive accessories you can have in your wardrobe. However, it is also very important and is one essential item you can live without if you want to build strong personal fashion statement. There are many reasons why a watch is expensive such as its longevity, its design and its material.
Although a watch should be worth of your investment, especially in the long run, it could be too expensive to have. Luckily, you don’t really need to pay for the full recommended retail price. There is a way that you can acquire watches from luxurious and expensive brands without spending all of your fortune- which is buying a second-hand watch.
Here are some few reasons why you should consider buying a second hand watch:
- First of all, a second hand watch tends to be less expensive than a new one of the same model so that you can save a lot of money in this matter.
- Second of all, you have a chance to buy a watch which is no longer produces. As you know, watches are hardly going out of fashion or order, therefore, buying an old watch from a long time ago can be just as good.
- Finally, since you are a beginner who starts to wear watch as your new important accessory, you will not know which model, which color and type suits your need and preference the most. That is the reason why you can consider buying an old watch and swap to a new one later on when you know exactly what you want in a want.
However, buying a second-hand watch can be tricky as there are many scams on the Internet selling fake second hand watch. And while it is genuine, there are also a lot of things that you need to consider before coming to the final decision.
Let’s have a look at what you need to consider when buying a second hand watch:
01. Make Sure It Is Not A Fake Watch
The most important thing that you need to consider is that it is not a fake watch. While fake watch makers now can make fake watches of excellent quality that can mimic the design of luxury watches, there are certain things you can do to make sure the second watch you are going to buy is genuine.
- Check if the watch comes with original packaging with full box and paper. Though a second hand watch owner might not keep the original packaging, he should still keep the original certificate of where he bought it. Alternatively, you can ask for the most recent service done by the official maker.
- In addition, you can check for fault in the design of the watch as well as the material it is made of. A fake watch is often made from cheap material, which is lighter than the material of a genuine high quality watch. This fact doesn’t change over time. Therefore, you should also weigh it up in your hand to see how it feels.
- While you can buy a second hand watch online, for example, through auction on eBay, you should always see the dealer face to face. First, you can touch and feel the watch to judge its authenticity. And secondly, a small talk with the person who sells it will let you know whether he is a trustworthy person or not.
02. Check The Warranty Terms
Another thing that you need to consider is the warranty of the watch. If you buy second hand watch from well known brands, you would be able to have warranty of the lifetime for this watch. You should only buy a watch if the seller can give you the warranty card for that product. If he cannot hand you a card, it could mean that the watch is not genuine. Also when something happens with the watch, you have to pay a high price to have it fixed without warranty.
So in case you want to buy a watch with limited or no warranty term, you need to take into consideration further cost you might have to pay in the future.
03. Check How Well It Is Working
One common reason for why some people want to sell their watches is because it is no longer working properly or some parts of the watch are missing. You can ask the seller the reason why he decides to sell the watch, is this because of financial needs or is there something wrong with the watch?
If you don’t know much about watch and its inner parts, you can ask someone who has certain knowledge in watch to check it for you. In addition, you can bring it to a professional watch service store to have it looked upon.
You can also check for the missing external parts such as numbers in the face of the second hand watch. You can do so by uploading some pictures of the models from the official manufacturer’s website.
As you can see, buying a second hand watch is not so easy. It would take a lot of time, effort and luck to come by a watch that you like and is still in good condition. A true good quality second hand watch is hard to come by and quick to go if you don’t act fast. You also need to careful about the authenticity of the watch as well in order not to waste money on crap. In addition, you need to check how the watch is looking and working at the moment.
I hope that with my guide above, you could be able to come up with proper knowledge and ideas of what you should consider when you decide to buy a second-hand watch. With proper caution in mind, I am sure that you would be able to find the best one with the finest quality you can find on the market.