Hiking is one of the most favorite outdoor activities that are suitable for all genders and ages with all level of difficulties. This kind of sport brings many benefits to hikers such as an improvement in muscles strength and bone density. It is also a kind of sport that helps many people to lose weight. Finally, with hiking, you have a great chance to see the live in the nature. This sport can be fun but challenging at the same time. There are many things you need to prepare before each hike to make sure you have the safest trip. One of them is preparing essential items for hiking such as suitable clothes and other special equipment.
The list of what to bring while hiking will depend largely on the weather as well as the kind of landscape you are going to hike. Basically, you need to have to pack clothes, sunglasses and best hiking boots. You also need to prepare a backpack as well. In this article, I will provide some tips on choosing the best items you need for hiking.
The most important thing on the list of what you should wear while hiking is suitable clothes. In order to pack the most proper clothes for your trip, you should know about the weather as well as the climate and temperature of the area that you are going to hike in. You also need to know how long you are going to hike to prepare enough sets of clothes.
Here are all things what you should keep in mind when choosing the most suitable clothes for hiking”
- Material:if your clothes are not waterproof, make sure that at least they are water resistant. Although the weather forecast say it will not rain, you are never sure. A kind of material that could keep you as dry as possible is synthetic materials such as polyester, spandex and nylon.
Another lightweight and water resistant material is TECHWICK material.
You can count on Merino wool to have lightweight and durable clothes. Furthermore, it can ensure to keep you warm in cold weather.
The worst material that you should avoid is cotton. It will keep moisture inside and when you go to a higher place, you will start to feel cool. Not to mention, this material is not water resistant at all.
For the upper part, you can either choose long sleeves and short sleeves. If it is hot, a short sleeve top will provide you more comfort while a long sleeve top can keep you warm better.
For the bottom part, you can either choose a pair of pants or shocks. Both of them will have their own benefits and drawbacks.
For example, with a pair of shorts, you will have more flexibility in your movements but you are more prone to any hazard that lies under on the road. With a pair of pants, you are warmer and it can protect you from hazards such as allergenic plants or bug bites better.
Other pieces of clothing that you should also bring with you while hiking are hats and rain jackets.
A pair of sunglasses is always needed when you go hiking or any activity that requires you to go outdoors. A good pair of sunglasses will help to protect you from the damage of the ultraviolet light in the board sunlight. When you go hiking in the mountains, you will even need a more powerful pair because the UV rays are stronger in higher place.
The features that you need to look for in a pair of sunglasses are:
- Lightweight: so that you can carry them all day without being uncomfortable.
- Durable: in case you drop your sunglasses on a hard surface, they will not break easily. Also it is better if you can get a strap to hold your sunglasses to your neck. When you have to make a lot of movements, the glasses will always be attached to your neck and will not fall out.
- Full eye coverage: you should opt for a pair of sunglasses that could wrap around your face. They offer a better protection for a wider area in your face.
- As I mention above, a high area will have stronger and more powerful UV rays. So if you intend to hike in that area, you should buy glasses with polarized lenses. They offer better protection and you will see everything clearer under the sun.
- Lastly, if you intend to go to a high mountain with snow all around, it is better if you can find a pair of sunglasses with glacier lenses.
Furthermore, if you want to have a pair of hiking sunglasses that looks trendy and stylish on you, you should also pay attention to the shape of your fact to find the suitable frame. For example, if you have a heart shaped face you could follow this guide http://coolmenstyle.com/tips-buying-sunglasses-men-heart-shaped-face/ to choose a suitable frame for your hiking sunglasses.
3. Hiking Boots And Socks
There are many types of hiking boots available on the market. Each type of boots is suitable for each kind of landscape and trails. In order to choose the best hiking boots, you need to know about the kind of surface you are going to hike.
Furthermore, you also need to pay attention to many features of a pair of hiking boots. For example:
- Material: like clothes, the material of hiking boots needs to be at least water resistant. You can also find a waterproof pair of boots if it is going to rain or the terrace is extremely muddy in where you hike. There are many innovative materials that offer you such protection such as GORETEX material.
- Size And Weight: these features will make sure that you will feel comfortable walking all day long. Make sure you buy a pair of boots that hugs your feet perfectly. If you just buy one pair recently, break it in first before you bring it on your trip.
Weight is also important. A lightweight pair of boots will help you spend less energy to lift the feet up, hence making you feel less tired quickly. However, if a pair of boots is too light, it may not offer enough support for your ankles and your heels.
- Components: there are various components in a shoe including mid sole, upper and out sole. Make sure they come with the right material and have enough flexibility and support.
No matter which type, which material or price that you are going to choose from a pair of hiking boots, you should always put them on and try to walk on them before finally purchasing.
Another important item is a pair of socks. It will offer you extra support and cushion for your feet. Make sure you buy a pair with good material such as synthetic or wool.
The last thing on the list is backpacks. They are used to store all other items and equipment that you may need for your trips such as foods, snack, other clothes and First Aid kit, to name just a few.
There are 3 main factors that you need to consider when choosing backpacks for hiking:
- Backpack fit: Remember that you have to carry a backpack all day long so a good fit will ensure your safest and most comfortable condition. Make sure that a backpack can only cover up to your torso length, nothing more.
- Backpack capacity: you should consider this factor based on how many days you are going to hike as well as how much you will bring. You should also make sure that the capacity is in the range of weight that you can carry.
- Backpack features:
Frame: it is ideal if you can choose a backpack with internal-frame so that you will have more stability when you go up and down. Go for an external frame backpack if you intend to carry a lot of heavy stuff on while hiking.
Compartments: a backpack with a lot of compartments will help you to organize all of your personal items as well as other gears.
Padding: you will have more support and be able to prevent back pain with extra padding.
Ventilation: a backpack with good ventilation will prevent you from getting sweaty back syndrome and making you more comfortable.
There are many other features such as different pack access or attachment points. Choosing among different types will all depend on your preference.
You can view here to have a look at a full review about best backpack for hiking as well.
Overall, hiking is a fun and enjoyable outdoor activity that does not require a long list of expensive equipment. If you are able to choose the best items to wear on a hiking trip, you will be able to fully enjoy it and they will also provide you comfort and safety on your journey.
I hope that with my tips, you will be able to find the most useful and stylish items to bring along.